I’m always trying to find ways to maximise my time, especially in the kitchen!
One of my saviours in the kitchen is the microwave and I think that microwaves in the UK are a much used kitchen appliance.
They don’t just have to be used just for boring tasks such as defrosting or reheating though.
One of my favourite things to make is a super simple mug cake, and I have come up with a lovely festive fruit one just in time for Christmas that tastes great and saves hours compared to a traditional baked cake.
Christmas Microwave Mug Cake
Makes two large mug cakes.
- 150g self raising flour
- 100g sugar
- 60ml oil
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- 4tbsp dried mixed fruit
- 3tbsp flaked almonds
- 1/2tsp all spice
- Steep the fruit in boiling water for five minutes.
- Once the fruit is nicely plumped mix together with the sugar, oil, syrup, and nuts.
- Lastly mix in the flour and spice.
- Lightly grease two large mugs and separate the ingredients between them.
- Place in the microwave on high for two mins.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve. They would taste great with some thick custard or double cream.